Friday, November 9, 2007

Meeting Chris Perry

    So here is what happened

  • If I emailed him and he said “no” what would I loose?


  • Nothing


  • If I emailed him and he said “yes” What would I gain?


  • Everything – I would get the opportunity to meet with a world class lighting designer.



So what do you loose if you try and fail? Nothing! You are just right back where you started and you may have even learned from the failure. The fact of the matter is most people don’t know what they can do because they don’t even try. Just showing up is 80% of the work!


Here is what I did.

Chris Perry was actually going to be in Seattle in a month or two. I contacted him, told him I was an aspiring lighting designer and asked very politely if he would like to have lunch when he was in Seattle. He said “yes.” We had a great lunch and talked about the profession of lighting design. On his next trip to Seattle I took a week off work and sat at his elbow while he designed, “A Little Night Music” for the 5th Avenue Theatre in Seattle. It was great and I learned a lot directly from a Tony Award winning designer. If I had not emailed I would not have even had the chance.

No comments: